Thursday, June 08, 2006

A Sense of Justice

I've fallen behind in my writing mainly because I've been down and out and back and forth to the doctor. Two weeks ago I was treated for strep. Shortly after that I had a bad case of bronchitis. Now I'm having a problem with my stomach that has yet to be determined exactly what the problem is. Although the acute pain has diminished somewhat, I still have to go back tomorrow for yet another follow-up to determine whether hospitalization and further tests are in order. To top off this perfect day, my A/C caught on fire this evening. It was mostly the wiring that burned and the damage appears minimal. I will know more tomorrow when I summon the repair service to find out if the entire unit will have to be replaced.

Aside from the bad luck with the air conditioner, I am reminded each time a member of my family or I require a doctor that we are in such a position that our insurance takes care of the brunt of these costs. Consider that I was prescribed three (or maybe four, I lost count!) different pills for my ailments. These expenses are in addition to the office visit costs for which I pay a $25 co-pay, and the drugs were had for a song though I am fully aware that my portion was only a small percentage of the actual cost of the drugs.

Health care and health insurance are two mega-bazillion-dollar industries making money hand over fist because these are two vital services we cannot live without. And while some might tell us that we cannot put a price tag on quality care and coverage, I would argue that the price tag is indeed intact and somewhat substantial. My wife and I make a pretty fair income between the two of us, and yet I am painfully aware that if we had to pay 100% of these costs out of pocket, we would likely be in a position to choose whether to do without some or all of the treatments.

Is it just that only those who can afford to pay are entitled only to the finest health care and insurance available? There are income limits that determine whether one would qualify for Medicare or Medicaid and how much coverage and how much out-of-pocket one would be stuck with. It seems to me, however, that good health care has become much more a privilege of those blessed enough to afford it and not a fundamental human right.

Discussions crop up from time to time about health care and insurance costs especially at election times when politicians are in the promise-whatever-it-takes mode to get elected, but the truth is this is an issue that should come up every single day. Decent, quality health care should not be a debatable topic, and its cost cannot be allowed to be determined by what the market will bear because insurance coverage for we who are blessed enough to have it cannot fully appreciate what good health care really costs; we are only aware of our co-pay costs.

Even the Clinton-era attempt at providing government sponsored universal coverage, though attractive and tempting, would have accomplished nothing as it pertains to actual health care costs. Providing every citizen with health insurance does not address the rising costs of health care and prescription drugs. And please do not bore me with "it's Bush's fault". These discussions have been going on for a very long time, and costs continue to rise.

It is said that we have the finest health care system in the world. For me, this kind of statement is subjective only in the sense that those who can afford it can make such a statement. For those who cannot afford to go to the doctor each time a visit would be recommended or get prescriptions filled, the quality is not even an issue because they are forced to do without.

I wish I had a solid proposal to offer. Right now I just need to get this off my chest. I'll be just fine after all is said and done because I am able to use my insurance to get the care that I need, but does my financial blessing make me more entitled to good care as opposed to those who are not so lucky?

5 comments:

kc bob said...

So sad that so many people do not have health insurance. The church seems so passive and neutral about something that really impacts the poor among us. Wonder why we don't focus more on these issues ... maybe the poor is a bit too overwhelming for most of us.

Michael said...

Thanks for writing, Bob. I'm not even sure that insurance in and of itself is the issue. Insurance is a marketable commodity that can be somewhat manipulated. That is to say, we can buy as much or as little as we choose.

Health care, on the other hand, is fundamental. There is a certain amount of it that we need vs what we might choose. Some have to forego a necessary procedure strictly because it costs too much money, but that need has not been diminished. I know insurance would cover the cost, but it's not insurance they needed in the first place.

kc bob said...

Maybe Hillary can straighten all of this out for us in a few years :)

Michael said...

Yeah, about as well as she did the last time!

John said...

Is it just that only those who can afford to pay are entitled only to the finest health care and insurance available?

Why is it that only those who can afford to pay can live in mansions?

Why is it that only those who can afford to pay can get the most luxurious sports cars?

Why is it that only those who can afford to pay can get the finest schools for their children?


The first law of economics is scarcity. No amount of wishful thinking will make it go away.