Monday, April 23, 2007

Where was I??

Click the link in the title to see the photo since I am apparently not smart enough to make it show up on the post.

The prize-winning image: A vulture watches a starving child in southern Sudan, March 1, 1993.
Haunted by the horrific images from Sudan, Pulitzer Prize winner Kevin Carter committed suicide in 1994 soon after receiving the award for this photograph.

Like Mr. Carter, I also find myself as “haunted” as I am speechless. It occurs to me that perhaps at our Judgment, if there is such a thing as a “play back” during that Judgment, we will be confronted by such images and asked the question, “Where were you?”

I think it safe to assume that this precious child is now safely in the bosom of Abraham. It may soon be that as the rich man was reaching out to Lazarus and Abraham for mercy (Luke 16:19-25), we who have plenty but live in fear of the dreaded “rainy day” may one day be reaching out to this child for mercy as she receives the good things which we denied her.

Make no mistake. This is not a call to “social action” by which we brow-beat the snot out of government officials until they “do something”. Rather, this is a call to the Church of the Lord God, the Church established by the Eternal Covenant which is a far more potent force on this earth than any government can ever hope to be. How can we be satisfied that we are “safe” when we know that such atrocities occur every single day? “There but for the grace of God …”

Even though this image was presented in one of my political science classes by the instructor, it occurs to me that this is anything but political though international politics can – and does – certainly play a part in it. Is it solely the responsibility of government to “do something”? Is it the Church’s responsibility to make the government “do something”? Or is it, as I suspect, the privilege and honor and duty of the Church to “do something”?

Holy Father, have mercy on me.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That has got to be the saddest image I have ever seen. I was actually caught off gaurd on that one, and I always fancied myself the unemotional type. That picture is so disturbing...I don't even know what else to say. Good post.


Jason

Michael said...

Understood. I was also caught by surprise at the starkness of it.

Anonymous said...

I saw this on a myspace post that was suppose to be funny (had a caption "good things come to those who wait") and thought it was a major sick joke. Did not realize it was a real picture. Not sure if I am understanding your comments correctly, but I have always felt that the "churches" are quite lacking in helping their fellow man. When I was younger and had 2 small kids, I had to fill out "forms" to get food from the churches in my town. Seemed pretty lame to me. I am enjoying reading your blog.

Michael said...

Thank you for your thoughts, Robin, and you're right: our sense of "humor" is sometimes a bit too callous for my taste.

Based on your story, I think you did get the gist of what I was trying to say. It is not solely the government's responsibility to look after the poor. Unfortunately, the Church has relegated its responsibility to the government. Maybe we all have; hence the overwhelming problem.

Lord's blessings to you and yours.