Monday, April 28, 2008

It Occurs to Me ...

“He who covers his sins shall not prosper; but those who confess and forsake them shall have mercy.” Proverbs 28:13


It occurs to me as I awake and start lining out my day that I pay little attention to the Lord and His way for my day. Instead I make my coffee, get the newspaper and see what happened in the world, check the online news services for updated information, and then decide what I need to be doing today especially since I’m preparing to sell my home and relocate for my first full-time pastorate. Though it is difficult to classify what I do as I line out my day as “sinful”, failing to give the Lord His due as I prepare to start my day certainly has the potential to keep that door open.

Being spiritually ambivalent is dangerous because there is no gray area when it comes to our allegiance to the Lord just as Jesus told His disciples that “he who is not with Me is against Me, and he who does not gather with Me scatters abroad.” (Matthew 12:30) I think maybe it is as simple as this: if we do not align ourselves with Him first thing each day we risk facing each day alone. We may not be actively involved in evil, but we may also miss something good.

To merely exist until death is not the way of a disciple of Christ. We have a charge to keep and a task to go about in whatever way is conducive to our particular gifts. It is to our advantage and certainly to His glory that we be mindful of this as the core of our existence and do our work and go about our day just as if we had invited Him to walk with us. Imagine a world behaving as if the Prince of Peace were watching!

No comments: