Thursday, January 19, 2012

A Thought

“As the deer pants for the water brooks, so pants my soul for You, O God.  My soul thirsts for God, for the living God.  When shall I come and appear before God?  My tears have been my food day and night while they continually say to me, ‘Where is your God?’”  Psalm 42:1-3

It is easy to see that even the psalmist had his moments of doubt, and it seems these doubts left him spiritually drained and empty especially when those around him questioned the reality of his God in the midst of his misery.  I think what is revealed in this psalm of lamentation is also that of an inherent nature in humans we don’t often recognize: if we have a soul – and we surely must – it is not a part of our humanity but the divine part of us, the image of God.  Our doubts reveal a conflict between the very human part of our nature and our divine self, when we struggle to tell the difference between “want” and “need”, “vengeance” and “justice”. 

The human part of our being is very strong, but it is in the surrender of will when we are finally able to touch the Divine and discover our better selves.  Only then will doubts be cast aside.  Only then can we step forward into the unknown with confidence and in faith.

Blessings,
Michael

1 comment:

C.E. Bulice said...

When the psalmist complains about his tears, is he crying because he feels far from God or because others do not recognize or honor his/our God? I rarely (nearly never) hear of anyone crying because another person apparently does not honor the one, true and living God. I see/hear more people getting angry than sad when someone asks, "Where is your God?"