Monday, April 17, 2006

Dirty Laundry

Misleading title, but I couldn't really think of what else to call it. It's time again for some random thoughts with no real depth or meaning, just clutter that I probably need to remove from my attic.

  • Easter has come and gone. There is still a little candy left over in my home. I am the last one in the world who needs it but as I am irresistibly drawn toward the Cadbury's egg I am compelled to ask myself, "What does any of this have to do with Easter?"
  • A clinical psychologist has declared that Zacarias Moussaoui is mentally unstable. Good call, doc.
  • Jane Fonda wanted to tour the country and speak out against the war in Iraq, but she was afraid that she is toting too much baggage from her Vietnam protesting days. She also believes Cindy Sheehan is doing a much better job than she could have. I'm not so sure of that if getting people stirred up is what she intends to accomplish.
  • Speaking of the war in Iraq, I will go on record as saying I was not real sure about our willingness to go it alone. Now that we're there, what are we supposed to do? If we pull out, what will be left? I guess I'm still wondering what the protesters actually believe.
  • The Gospel of Judas is said to portray Judas in a more favorable light. Fundamentalists are really up in arms about this latest "discovery". Why are we so determined to put Judas in eternal hell fire? Would it change the fact that it was SIN that put Jesus on the cross and not Judas nor the Jews nor the Romans? Do we really care, or do we just want someone other than ourselves to blame?
  • I am still getting circular e-mails from folks trying to convince me that Bill Clinton was a draft dodger and that this will somehow make Hillary a bad president (??). I am no Clinton fan and never was. I suspect I never will be.
  • John at Locusts and Honey puts out a weekly summary of Methodist blogs and their writings with quick links. In addition, much of his stuff is thought-provoking and sometimes downright funny. For any who happen by, check out his blog and his unnatural fondness for rabbits. And incidentally, John puts out this summary all on his own. It is an incredible undertaking and I am quite certain that if he stopped doing it, it would end. Thank you, John, from the bottom of my heart.
  • Speaking of the Methodist blogroll, there are several quick links to the left of this column. I dare say there are some incredible talents, theologians, and lay persons who have a genuine love affair going on with the Lord. You need to take time to visit some. I have my particular favorites, but you will just have to see for yourself that there is something for everyone.
  • I wish there was some way in which to convince the voting public that they really need to read more newspapers about the candidates in the upcoming elections and not be influenced by sound-bites. We miss out on so much by refusing to listen to the whole story.
  • I have some pretty incredible nieces (and one nephew), beautiful over-achievers they are. Of course I am proud of my entire family, but it amazes me sometimes how dedicated these young Christians are, including my own children. I sometimes wish I could turn back the clock and undo some of the careless and irresponsible stunts I pulled when I was younger (mostly involving alcohol). But then, this would change everything and, God help me, I love the life He has so abundantly provided to me.

It's almost time for bed. For you visitors (and my site meter says you're out there!), thank you for your visit. It is also lawful to leave comments from time to time.

Have peace.

Michael

No comments: