Thursday, August 10, 2006

A Blog is a Terrible Thing to Waste

The linked story on Fox News tells a story that I had never seriously considered before now. Even though we in the Methodist Blogosphere certainly have our political opinions, we tend to focus more on theology than on politics. Speaking for myself, I never considered much outside the Methodist blogroll for no particular reason except for limited time to do much surfing, but what few political blogs I have read have been so hateful that I just don't care to waste my time. I have little use for Bush-haters or Clinton-haters, finding most of these verbally violent persons to be little more than angry little people with little minds and nothing much to say that is of any real consequence.

This story on Fox News, however, indicates that bloggers hold a lot more sway in public opinion than many of us realize. It is a certain measure of power that few can handle, and this seems obvious by reading some of the biting comments from the left and from the right. I wonder if any of us realizes the awesome responsibility we unwittingly take upon ourselves when we sign on to the blogosphere, never really being sure of who is reading what we think we have to say. I wonder if we even care.

Of course we want to be read; otherwise we would not be posting on the Internet. I, for one, am still hoping to one day be "discovered" and sydicated (I'll hold my breath now), so I have every intention of offering my best although I certainly have my lazy days. But I cannot honestly say that I consider who outside of the Methodist blog roll may actually be reading what I choose to share. That is, until now.

It matters what we write, and it matters what we think. It is ok to be able to share our opinions about political races and candidates, but it is not ok to take personal swipes at individuals or try to insinuate or create something that just isn't there. Of course there are many who simply do not care. They mean to be as inciteful and as hateful as they can possibly be and are not the least bit concerned about the potential harm that can come as a result. I freely admit that I never gave my postings this much thought before now.

It is clear that public opinion, whether by letters to editors of the local papers or by blog, matters and people are influenced by what is written. Unfortunately it would seem that the most hateful ones are the ones that get the most press and the most attention. Even still, what we write is going to be read by someone somewhere at some time. And if our dear readers are searching for information or opinion, they are open to suggestion and can be influenced positively or negatively.

Whether we like it or not, ours is now an enormous duty not only to ourselves but to every potential reader who may stumble across our blogs. We must consider the good (or the harm) that we can do merely by the words we choose.

Have peace. Lord knows it's needed.

1 comment:

Clayton said...

You are right - we rarely realize that other people read our writing and think it is significant. I had that experience with a couple of letters to the editor some years ago.
On the political thought; consider reading God's Politics by Jim Wallis. He has some unique ideas about government and politics.
May God continue to bless you.