Thursday, April 05, 2012

A Thought for Holy Thursday


“I do not speak concerning all of you.  I know whom I have chosen, but that the Scripture may be fulfilled, ‘He who eats bread with Me has lifted up his heel against Me’ … When Jesus had said these things, He was troubled in spirit and testified and said, ‘Most assuredly I say to you, one of you will betray Me.’”  John 13:18, 21

The practice of Holy Communion has always been that we are mindful of the last gathering Jesus enjoyed with His disciples before He was betrayed by one of His own and handed over to the authorities that sought to kill Him.  We remember the bread “which is My body broken for you” and the cup “which is My blood poured out for you”, but we do not often remember that as the disciples questioned among themselves who could possibly turn on Jesus, He was looking into the face of Judas Iscariot and saying, ‘What you do, do quickly’.  The disciples only thought perhaps Judas, the keeper of the treasury, was being sent to buy things needed for the feast.

What is it we do “quickly” as having been sent by the Lord?  Do we “quickly” tell others of the Resurrection and the hope that is within those who believe, or do we “quickly” betray Him by pursuing our own interests?  Do we “quickly” seek to help those who cannot help themselves, or do we “quickly” seek only to help ourselves?

Move through this blessed day mindful of the continuing Journey.  We can read Scripture to see what happened so long ago, but we cannot know what the next hour will bring unless we become a part of the Lord’s story.  It is only by moving in His path that we can be assured it is the right path.  And yes, His path will take us all the way to Golgotha … but also beyond – if we follow Him faithfully.

Blessings,
Michael

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Beautiful posts about the holy week. Your blog is truly a blessing. I hope you have a wonderful Easter!

Unknown said...

Thank you for your beautiful posts on holy week. Your blog is such a blessing! I want to wish you a joyful Easter.

Unknown said...

If I've left more than one message, that wasn't my intent! I was thinking that I wasn't passing the prove you're not a robot thing. So please only put out one comment from me :)
Because I KNOW I got that last one right.

Michael said...

Happy Easter, Suzie, and thank you for the kind words!