Tuesday, July 03, 2012

A Thought


“I hate the double-minded, but I love Your law.  You are my hiding place and my shield; I hope in Your word.  Depart from me, you evildoers, for I will keep the commandments of my God!” Psalm 119:113-115

Under the provisions of the Lord’s law, there are very few among us who can escape the accusation of being “double-minded” because we embrace those portions of the law that fit neatly into our own lives and our own sense of social order, but we reject what we do not like or understand under Paul’s proclamation that “You are not under the law …”  We live, more often, as we like rather than as we believe.

We would do better for ourselves to view the law of the Lord not as a series of restrictions against what we cannot do but rather as a way of life we are privileged and invited to partake in.  There is nothing easy about it, but Jesus never promised us “ease”.  In fact He warned His followers that righteous choices would guarantee divisions even within family structures, but He also promised that making the difficult choice in every circumstance to trust the Lord will lead us Home: “You will be hated by all (including some family members who choose evil and reject the Church!) for My name’s sake, but those who endure to the end will be saved” (Matthew 10:22).

In this life there are blessings and curses, life and death; choices we must make each and every day.  Let us pray for the courage to make the Lord’s choice in all we say and all we do.  It will bring glory to the Lord even to the “evildoers”, and it will lead us into Eternal Life.

Blessings,
Michael 

No comments: