Thursday, December 01, 2005

Once More Amazed

My wife and I are blessed with three healthy children who have not caused us any real alarm. That they are healthy is an immeasurable blessing that I cannot begin to fathom. One way or the other, I am proud of my children.

This past week, though, something did happen that genuinely surprised me. My middle daughter has made no secret of her allegiance to Christ (she is a high school senior now). For this alone, I am grateful beyond words. I have to say, however, that she has never shown any real inclination toward the headier topics of the day until this week. She presented and defended a position against euthanasia. To be perfectly honest, I didn't even know that she knew what it meant!

I was surprised at the depth of her arguments and even more surprised when, upon reviewing her paper for her, she intended to use the Lord and His Word to defend her stance. And in public school, no less!

This evening, she told her mother and me that the presentation went very well and even though she was challenged by a couple of students (she says they were required to oppose the presenters), she stood firm in her position that the Lord alone is the Lord of life. It is His to give, and it is His to take. She made other, more "secular" arguments as well but in the end, she suggested that there had to be a point where human emotional frailty must be acknowledged when attempting to make life-or-death decisions. Wow!

Whoever says that this generation is hopelessly lost is not paying enough attention. I have nieces who have done missionary trips long before they graduated from high school, doing things I can hardly imagine doing as an adult! I see these young ladies and so many other young people who are working hard to find their way in the Lord's path and it is gratifying to know that there are some who refuse to embrace this world, choosing instead to offer an Alternative rather than a compromise.

4 comments:

John said...

That is wonderful news! You have a child firmly committed to Him. That is truly a great blessing!

Michael said...

Thank you, John. She quit being a kid sometime ago, and I didn't even really notice until now!

Rev. David Nicol said...

Praise the Lord! That's great news that your daughter will stand up for what she believes wherever she is! As someone who does youth ministry, I'm always thrilled to hear good news about our youth and their thoughtful appropriation of their faith in Christ.

Michael said...

Thank you, David. She truly is a blessing in our lives.