Friday, December 02, 2005

Would You Believe Your Own Eyes?

A very interesting question was posed by another blogger the other day asking whether Jesus would be a Republican or a Democrat. Eventually, one answer came to question whether Jesus would even be an American.

It made me think of a sermon I delivered recently in which I challenged my congregation to ask and answer for themselves whether they are certain that when Christ returns they will be able to recognize Him.

I get a sense from too many passages to list here that there will be no doubt even for the non-believers. I wonder how it could be, though, that with the prophecies about Messiah being as "clear" as Christians seem to think they are, how is it that the Jews did not recognize Him when He came? That He chose to share our humanity might be a good point of "deception" (I do realize that He was not trying to fool anyone!), but do we Christians not "see" how clear the prophecies were only with the benefit of our exceptional hindsight?

If Elijah had not been the faithful servant he was, would he have recognized the "still, small voice"?

I wonder. And I wonder if anyone else wonders.

No comments: