Wednesday, March 08, 2006

How Much Longer?

Shane at Wesley Blog laments about more UMC scandals in which adults are accused of misconduct. There are also two articles on CNN involving another American Catholic bishop and Catholic clergy in Ireland. While the accusation against the Spokane bishop is highly suspect due to a claims deadline, the situation in Ireland is a little overwhelming. Both, however, have come as a result of the Roman Church's acknowledgment of severe problems in the past that were swept under the rug in too many instances.

Having said this, however, I must say that I grew up in the Catholic Church. I have absolutely no recollection of any priest ever coming close to doing anything remotely inappropriate. I have also grown cynical over the years. It is difficult for me to believe that the problem of such abuse was so prevalent. It seems to me that there are far too many who are a little eager to find fault within the Church so much so that all these people suddenly have these repressed memories that surface twenty, thirty, or even forty years later.

I wish I had something profound to offer, but I don't. These revelations sometimes leave me breathless because it is unimaginable to believe that a grown man can do such a thing. Maybe I am too idealistic and trusting for my own good or maybe it is that I have a chip on my shoulder from having grown up Catholic in a predominantly Protestant town, but the Catholic Church seems to be too preferred as a target.

This is not to say that some of these accusations were not true. Some priests and other ministers have been sent to prison for these crimes. This is not even to say that the Church should be given a break if these allegations are proved true, and the Church should most certainly be called to account for bishops who knew or even suspected that such things were taking place and did nothing. The sheer numbers of those coming forward to make claims, however, leaves me to wonder how many are just jumping on the bandwagon in hopes of a pay-off in exchange for their silence.

Something to consider, though. How many parents and other parishioners leaving their children in the care of a pastor without other adults present are doing so just so they can have some time to themselves? How many of these parents have offered to help supervise some church-sponsored activities so that the kids could have a safe place to go and play? How many pastors took it upon themselves to provide these services for children because no one else in the parish would care to be bothered with it?

This provides no excuse for the accused, of course, but as a minister, I WILL NOT be found alone with others' children. If this would mean that the church would have to close its doors for lack of interest, I would provide the lock. I offer no excuses or alibis for those found guilty of such misconduct, but I also offer no excuses for parents and other church workers and members for leaving children alone with another adult.

We parents had better begin simplifying our lives so that we do not depend on others to care for our children because we are "too busy". We parents had better get used to the idea that WE are primarily responsible for the well-being of our children. We are also responsible for the well-being of the children of others. If we see situations in which only one adult, for instance, is willing to do a lock-in or camp-out with children, then we either better be willing to help or pull our children out.

As is often the case, we have no one to blame but ourselves.

4 comments:

Steve Heyduck said...

Not to disagree with you that parents ought to, even need to, assume more active responsibility, there is more to it than that alone.

We do still have a habit in the UMC of simply re-appointing clergy who demonstrate danger. Just happened this past year in the CTC.

Michael said...

You're right, of course, Steve. I guess my level of frustration comes from the reality that it apparently still happens. I wonder how long it will take before we actually get serious about it.

John said...

This provides no excuse for the accused, of course, but as a minister, I WILL NOT be found alone with others' children. If this would mean that the church would have to close its doors for lack of interest, I would provide the lock.

This is my approach, too.

I wonder if, with all of these cases that we hear about, that child abuse is on the rise or is simply more widely reported.

Michael said...

I have to believe that it's more widely reported. Whether all of it is true remains the real mystery. Even if the accusations prove to be false, however, the accused is toast - their names and faces will have been posted all over newspaper and TV stories so much so that relocation is not an option ... it is a must.