Thursday, September 22, 2005

Is It Really All That?

Having grown up in southeast Arkansas, one might think I would have a better perspective on race issues. Is there really a race problem as great as that which seems to be the rallying cry around post-Katrina New Orleans? Has our nation really digressed so much so that our president would deliberately and personally withhold relief supplies because of the color of so many who either chose to stay or did not have the means to get out of New Orleans before the hurricane hit?

To hear some tell it, there is a great, Jewish conspiracy that was not only aware of 9/11 but somehow managed to push Hurricane Katrina right into New Orleans but just not quite centered. A harsh blow to those "poor" people but not so much a direct hit that anyone would become suspicious. And the president had a PERSONAL interest in withholding funding to shore up those levees from as far back as 10 years ago!

All kidding aside, I wish I could understand more about this so-called race problem that we seem to have but that I cannot easily see. Maybe if I could see it, then I could address it. That battle cry, however, is wearing a little thin.

What is it that I am not seeing?

No comments: