Monday, September 26, 2005

The Power Source

The Lord God said, 'It is not good for man to be alone. I wil make a helper suitable for him.'" Genesis 2:18

Mrs. Coretta Scott King, the widow of the Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., suffered a mild stroke a few weeks ago and was just recently released from the hospital. Spokespersons for the family say things are looking good for Mrs. King.

So much has rightly been written about Dr. King's work for civil rights, but I don't recall seeing much about Mrs. King. I realize that things were different during Dr. King's time, but it occurs to me that he might not have been the powerful force he was without a powerful earthly force pushing him and encouraging him. And not just any woman. This particular woman was the woman whom the Lord God placed in Dr. King's life. Otherwise, things might have been different even if it is impossible to tell.

Now I certainly do not compare myself to Dr. King by any stretch, but I do not believe I would be where I am without this particular woman whom the Lord God put into my own life. I wonder how much credit we do give the women in our lives who stand by us even when we make fools of ourselves! It is especially difficult for pastors' wives who ultimately endure every nasty thought that should be directed at the pastor himself but is not.

The Lord called it; "It is not good for man to be alone." Keep Mrs. King in your prayers. If there is such a place as purgatory, I think it is safe to say that she has done her time.

No comments: