Sunday, September 18, 2005

Life's Passions

It occurred to me today as I was driving home from church that I no longer feel much passion for anything. It is all too often that after delivering a sermon, I go over it in my mind as I drive home and become so full of "I should have said's ..." that I could just about pop! In the end, even when someone offers a nice compliment, I hardly ever feel as though I've accomplished much through my preaching.

I used to relish the challenge to use a sermon to push just a little harder toward some new idea or thought process. The sermons were as much an exercise in faith for me as for my congregation. Now it's just work.

Politics is another area where I used to live for the conflict that is almost always inevitable. There is hardly a time or a topic of discussion when politics - or even religion, for that matter - can be discussed intelligently or calmly. Both topics matter to most of us, and both topics impact our daily living.

I am a family man. I am deeply and passionately in love with my wife. We have been blessed with healthy children. Of course I am passionate about them, but as a Christian I am called - in fact, compelled - to be about more than just what is "mine". I joined the Marine Corps years ago as a very idealistic man with a passion for service to God, country, and Corps. In fact, I remember during a battalion commander's inspection when the colonel asked me why I joined the Corps. My answer: "Sir, this private wanted to be a part of something bigger than self, sir."

So if I have lost my passion for politics and religion, what else is there? Dealing with my family is religion. Dealing with my work is religion. In each endeavor, I am honor-bound to do my best for each. Failure to give each my all amounts to nothing more than theft. Politics? I care about what my congressman and senators do, but they don't seem to respond well to letters. I'm not especially affluent, so I cannot say that I have their ear.

So what is next? What will it take to get me excited about something? Maybe I'm just depressed because the Arkansas Razorback football team was just recently VIOLATED by the University of Southern California. "Violated" is the only word that seems to describe a 70-17 loss. In fact, I'm not even sure it counts as a game! I can't get excited about Razorback football.

Actually, each living day should be a quest. Each day should be considered a new adventure, an opportunity to learn something new, to meet someone new. Each day must be met with a passion toward "more" so that each day can be overcome as nothing more than a step toward tomorrow.

We need not be passionate about anything in particular. Life, however, requires our devotion and undivided attention! Christ is life, and He will lead the way ..... if I will allow Him. And so I shall.

Peace.

No comments: