Saturday, January 07, 2006

Defining the Proper Worship

Is there such a thing as "proper" worship? I ask this question because, having grown up Catholic, there are certain elements in the liturgy that I've grown accustomed to and if any of these elements is missing, I feel like "proper" worship has not taken place.

I have visited other churches that split their time between "traditional" worship services and "blended" or "contemporary" styles of worship. I have visited churches where it is not difficult to spot those who are "in the moment" or, as they might suggest, "in the Spirit". I'm not much for rowdy worship, but for others it seems to work well.

I have attended services where no musical instruments are used, and I've attended worship where there was not only a musical instrument of almost every type but drums as well (I don't think I will ever get used to drums in worship!).

Even in considering what constitutes "proper" worship, I wonder whether attending church services is even necessary.

There can be no doubt that whatever is being offered, the heart must be prepared for worship. However, I have grappled with this question since some of the so-called "megachurches" cancelled their services because Christmas fell on the Sabbath in 2005. Many who took exception to this unfortunate decision bemoaned the "consumer mentality" that decided to give the people what they want, and they reasoned that folks would rather spend time at home with family on Christmas than attend worship. Some of these "megachurches", in their statements, suggested that this is somehow more important than actually attending worship.

The very fact that there are churches with such a mentality as opposed to those churches which insist that the doors must be open suggests that our differences go much deeper that our denominational doctrine disputes.

Does this perceived "consumer mentality" drive us to offer "traditional" or "contemporary" or blended styles of worship? Why has it become necessary to have multiple pastors at the same church who officiate at different services of varying styles? If this is not succumbing to the "consumer mentality" by offering a buffet of services and presenting it as "something for everyone", then exactly what is it? Why do we cast stones at these "megachurches" for giving in to the "consumer mentality" by closing on Christmas Sunday when serving the consumer is precisely what we do when we make efforts to jump through flaming hoops in the hopes that word will get out that our service is "neat" and hope that someone will show up?

Worship on the Sabbath is important for the faithful for more reasons than I can possibly list here. And considering what has been given for us and to us, I don't think the Lord is being unreasonable to ask that we show up. But if we are making deals with the churches we choose to attend or serve and demand that they offer us entertainment in an effort to keep us interested, then what is truly being accomplished?

If the heart is not in it, why bother at all?

4 comments:

John said...

I find this statement from a megachurch about why it closed on Christmas illuminating.

Michael said...

Thanks, John. That sure is a lot to take in and think about.

Jason Hall said...

I think that it doesn't matter much what type of service as much as it matters that people are feeling like they're next to God. People are funny and each one has a different road that gets them to Jesus. For instance, I like to listen to the "hellfire and brimstone" baptists, while others feel at peace in a quiet Catholic service, which I start snoring at.Your right, salvation in any form should be interesting and important to us, no matter the delivery method. I for the most part never attend church, I believe that if I want to be close to God, allI have to do is look up and speak, no matter the building I happen to be in. The world is our Church, not the brick and mortar structures

Michael said...

Jason,

Actually we are called to BE the church to the world. We gather in church buildings to offer our gifts and to support one another and to learn more about the Bible and about the Lord whom we choose to serve. Do you HAVE to be there? Not if your heart doesn't come with the rest of you.

Peace.