Sunday, January 29, 2006

Tough Questions

This evening I was watching Father Corapi on the Eternal Word TV Network. For those of you who are not familiar with Father Corapi, he is one I consider to be an exceptional teacher of the catechism of the Roman Church and the Bible. He is able to take what might otherwise be an overwhelming and complicated teaching and help listeners to make a practical application of the catechism to daily living and walking with the Lord.

Tonight I didn't catch the entire program, but his question that did grab my attention was simply this: WHY do we love YHWH? It may not be enough to simply love Him because of what He has done, or can do, for us. In other words, the challenge is: do we love Him only because we may get something from it?

I guess I had not really stopped to consider my love relationship with the Lord. I know that another time in listening to Father Corapi, he reminded us that "agape" love, true biblical love, is not an emotion but is, rather, an intentional act of the will. That is to say, we do because we love and not because we may ultimately get something for ourselves out of the deal.

Have you ever examined your own relationship daring to ask such a question? I admit that up to now, I have not. I can honestly say that I am blessed beyond measure, and I am sure that these blessings are not because the Lord has a particular love exclusively for me for my own sake. There is more. Much more. And it is time for me re-examine that "more" not because I may be in danger of a judgment but because I think, in my heart, I do love Him. The question that Father Corapi asks, however, confuses my reasons why.

More later. In the meantime, I would love you to comment on what your concept of love is and how you define your own relationship with Him. Is it a genuine give-and-take relationship, and how do you know? Or do you, like me, have perhaps ulterior motives in the deep recesses of your mind?

Have Peace.

Michael

No comments: