Sunday, February 05, 2006

The Act of Worship

It is my first Sunday morning after having resigned my pulpit, and I do not know what to do with myself! I used to have my Sunday mornings lined out in such a way that I would rise early, have coffee with the morning paper for a brief time, then prepare for church. Often this would involve a last-minute review of the sermon and Bible texts and then a dash out the door for the 1/2 hour drive to the little church I served. Not a stressful morning, but at least a morning with purpose and time constraints.

The church we are about to visit is pretty close to a 1,000-member church with three Sunday morning worship services. Now you might suggest that three services to accomodate this kind of crowd would be required, and it probably is. What I'm having trouble with, however, is choosing which "kind" of service I will attend.

A few weeks ago my family and I attended this church's "praise" service. This service is very casual and is held not in the sanctuary but in the church's fellowship hall. There are no pews but, rather, tables and chairs. I was a little taken aback when some young people came in with doughnuts and sodas; there were others having coffee. Then it occurred to me that I should be grateful that these young people were bothering to come to church at all. As time passed, however, I had to wonder if such an accomodation has become necessary just to get folks in the door.

We should not begrudge any church that uses whatever reasonable means at its disposal to attract folks to church. Any exposure to the Word and a good sermon with lots of good music is a step in the right direction. As a somewhat conservative person, I have to constantly stay on my guard to try to see the positives that can come from such an environment. My concern, however, is in where our hearts are when we plan such a service. Are we trying to please the Lord God by doing whatever is necessary to get folks to church, or are we offering "consumers" an opportunity to be entertained with hopes that the Spirit may speak to them? Or are we doing whatever is necessary to keep the doors open?

Back when I served as lay leader to a local congregation, part of my duties was to offer a word before a collection was taken up. My word to the congregation, which got the attention of the finance people, was to simply hold back that portion of their gifts that were being given grudgingly. In other words, if you cannot give the gift and be glad about it, just keep it.

Now this admonishment is very biblical, but the finance manager and even the pastor were more than a little concerned that I was giving some an "out", an excuse for not giving. And, after all, don't we have bills to pay??

Like the gifts we offer, worship has to be offered in the very same vein. We must be on guard that we are not offering something that we hope will be pleasing to man long before we even concern ourselves with whether the Lord God will be pleased. After all, why are we there at all?

I should be grateful on so many levels for the opportunity that is before me that a) I am free to worship, b) I have such choices before me. So why am I so anxious? Why can I not look forward to this time of worship? I've been serving as a pastor for the past six years. Maybe it is that a time of adjustment will be required. This seems to be a given. In my time as a pastor, however, it never really occurred to me that different or additional services might be required in order to get people in the door. What if I simply pray with a sincere heart for guidance?

Then it occurred to me. Those who have designed these worship services may very likely have already prayed to the Lord God for guidance, and these varied services are where He led them. I remind myself that the condition of another's heart is not my concern. My business, my concern, is that I offer to those around me the best portrait of Christ I can offer. This is my worship, Sunday or any other day of the week. This is my opportunity whether I am behind the pulpit or in front of it.

Go worship with a glad heart. And if you are suffering the same anxieties that I am enduring, give yourself permission to "be still" and know who is God.

2 comments:

Dan McGowan said...

Michael, I appreciated your words in this post... as a music/worship leader in churches for nearly 25 years, I can personally attest to the angst I feel sometimes with the various ways we DO church and the various ways we EXPECT church to be. It gets old. Quickly.

But your reminder to be still at the end is exactly what I needed to hear.

Thanks!

Michael said...

Thank you for your comments, Dan. I've wrestled with this for a long time, and I guess I still do; maybe I always will. What we must all do is, as I stated, "be still" and just let God be God.