Friday, February 24, 2006

Kennedy, Chappaquiddick, and Cheney

Sen. Kennedy has been one of the more outspoken critics of the "Texas Quail Hunt Massacre" in that he somehow believes that VP Cheney and/or the White House must have been trying to hide something. After all, when the incident occurred, the hunting party had the gall to call an ambulance before contacting the Washington press corps.

Actually, I don't think Sen. Kennedy believes for one moment that there has been some great cover-up conspiracy. I believe that he wants US to believe it, but I also think he is doing nothing more than continuing to play the same political game he has been playing for years. Why would he change his course of action when he is continually re-elected time and again? He has found what works in his home state, and he trades on a name that is associated with power and affluence.

Let it be known that I have no use for Senator Kennedy. I personally don't care much for his name-calling and orations against Republicans in general, and I have yet to hear him say anything with any real substance.

Having said this, however, I must also say that those who try to play Sen. Kennedy's unfortunate past against him are doing nothing more than sinking (no pun intended) down to his own, sorry level. However, I will also offer this perspective. Senator Kennedy has buried two brothers who were gunned down in the prime of their lives. His big family has had troubles that the average citizen cannot even fathom. And knowing what I know only from what I have read, if I came from a family like that, I would probably be a little angry as well!

There is no connection or similarity between what happened a jillion years ago and what happened last week. It's over, and Mr. Whittington is doing just fine. For his age, I would say his recovery is rather remarkable. But this finger-pointing and name-calling has got to stop.

Did you ever notice that this kind of behavior is happening in the church as well? It's that same, tired, old "liberal" vs "conservative" and accusations of one or the other deliberately trying to destroy "innocent" people or not caring enough. Come to think of it, our behavior in our churches looks a lot like what the political headlines read. We keep screaming that it's all about Jesus, but evidence to the contrary suggests that church life is about anything BUT Jesus.

Who says religion and politics don't mix?

1 comment:

John said...

Yes. Sometimes it seems like we're more interested in defeating our theological foes than advancing the Kingdom.