Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Where is the Love?

Typically there are the so-called liberals who take issue with so-called conservatives over the homosexual deal. Especially in theological discussions about the "right" or the "wrong" of it, the liberals insist that Jesus preached "love". "Love your neighbor", "Love God with your whole heart". Then of course, there is the ever-present "Judge not ..."

Reading today's editorial section in the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette, my head was spinning! With all the "hateful "letters to the editor virtually burning President Bush in effigy, I had to wonder where all the venom was coming from.

I learned my lesson the hard way. Years ago when President Clinton was in office, some friends and I were sitting around the table discussing politics. You should know that I was no fan of President Clinton, and I am sure that I was not quiet or discreet about my disdain for this man and his policies. My then 10-year-old daughter chimed in on the conversation and said, "I HATE Bill Clinton!"

You should also know that there was only one source from which my daughter could have gleaned such an attitude. I was a little surprised at her outburst but as I thought about it, I realized that I had taken what was at once an innocent child and had inadvertently offered her fruit from the tree of knowledge of good and evil. Without realizing it, I had violated the innocence of a child and had taught her how to speak not according to what she knew or what she believed but rather, from an emotion to emulate someone she looked up to and respected.

Needless to say, it took me a long time to undo the damage I had done. And this is the task that is before us. We have allowed the politicians too much power for far too long and as a result, we have allowed ourselves to get caught up in the "mob mentality" frenzy of calling names and spewing the most vile words we can possibly come up with. And oddly, we do this in the name of "justice" for the poor, the disenfranchised, the elderly .... the Christ.

Have we so digressed to a level in which we find that we have more need to hate than to love? Have we become such a "mob" of people who have some inate desire - if need - to hate? Or are we nothing more than a bunch of cowards who take some perverted delight in trashing another human being with the relative certainty that nothing will come of it, certainly no consequences.

We can do better. And for the sake of the next generation, we must.

2 comments:

Greg Hazelrig said...

Amen. We all want to see change in the world. We all want others to "shape up". We all want to have a government that cares about the people. But if we all realized that it had to begin with each of us, then things might actually change.

btw - I noticed you are in the transportation business in AR. I used to work for Harold Ives. I was in the brokerage office in Memphis. That was my last job before going into the ministry.

Michael said...

I've been with Continental Express for over 13 years now. I considered moving into full-time ministry, but now I'm beginning to think that the part-time pastorate for the small, rural churches may need me more. I'm still listening for "still, small voice" to lead me and guide. Now if I would just shut up long enough to listen ...