Saturday, February 18, 2006

Man's Quest for "More"

In today's religion section of a state-wide newspaper were two articles that caught my attention. One was a shorty about the phenomenal growth of so-called "megachurches". Readers may recall that a few of these "megachurches" caught the ire of the general Christian public by choosing to cancel Christmas Day worship services because the holiday itself fell on a Sunday. The article pointed to a study by Leadership Network, a Dallas-based nonprofit consultant on church growth. In simple terms, the attendance and/or membership of these churches has nearly doubled in the last five years. They continue to grow and "draw younger Americans and families through contemporary programming and conservative values."

The other article was a play on man's so-called "mid-life crisis" but with a holy twist. Successful persons are no longer in pursuit of bigger and better toys or paychecks or positions. The successful persons mentioned in the article had achieved as much as they could in man's world. The "more" they were continually in search of was of a more divine nature.

As a United Methodist with Roman Catholic tendencies, non-denominational churches have always held a curious attraction for me yet I've not been curious enough to attend the services even though a very dear friend of mine, actually a former drinking buddy, got his life turned around through the ministry of a "megachurch". Now he is a dedicated disciple who has done quite a bit of missionary work. It's kind of hard to knock a church that can count among its members such a person who was truly on a dark path and made such a remarkable about-face.

At one time I was perfectly content with the larger churches because it was easy to get lost in them. No one really bothered me, and no one ever asked me to participate in anything. Yet as I grew up, it became more important for me to be an ACTIVE member of a congregation which I suppose eventually led me to the pulpit, first as a lay speaker and then as a licensed pastor. In all that time and during all that growth, however, it never occurred to me that I was continually restless. In retrospect, I was never satisfied. I needed more, but I didn't quite know how to go about it or even identify it. I suppose I'm still there, restless and wanting more.

Now that I am only months away from graduation from college, the possibilities of "more" stand before me. I can go to law school if I want to, or I can go to seminary if I want to. More choices, because of education, will be before me than ever before. Yet when I read about highly successful persons who have accomplished "more" and have grown tired of the so-called "rat race", I wonder why it is that I cannot learn through the testimony of others that "more" is not always better.

Megachurches have their own attraction and if the "entertainment value" factor of these churches gets young people to attend and hear the Word of the Lord and have their hearts opened by moving music, then I'm all for it even though it may not be my cup of tea. It seems to me, however, that reaching for more of the world, even if we try to attach a divine element to it, will get us nothing but sore arms and a perpetual thirst that can never be quenched.

The successful people who are trading their places in the board rooms for mission projects have finally figured out how to quench their own thirst - by helping to quench the thirst of others. Is this not the life that Christ calls us all to? Could it be that these "megachurches" had enjoyed such growth because other successful people traded in the stock options for something a bit more eternal? What these persons have found is finally true fulfillment. The sad thing is that too many of us will have to be knocked in the head more than once before we finally get it.

2 comments:

John said...

A very balanced and fair perspective.

My first church was a megachurch, and it was a great opportunity for me to grow. I'm not sure that I would have continued to grow if I had stayed, but it was where I needed to be at the moment.

Michael said...

I can't say that I've ever even SEEN a megachurch, let alone attended one. Usually in the larger churches, the music is very grand, very majestic, but I can hardly hear myself. I guess smaller groups and churches suit me best.