Thursday, August 02, 2012

A Thought


“Praise the Lord!  Praise the Lord, O my soul!  While I live I will praise the Lord; I will sing praises to my God while I have my being.”  Psalm 146:1-2

Petition prayers are a big part of the fellowship of the Church.  We are made aware of concerns our brothers and sisters face, and we can easily see a very ugly world around us that challenges us to the core of our being.  Yet it is also easy to see that sometimes what time we do devote to prayer is more a “shopping list” of things we want or things we think we need while very little time is devoted to simple adoration of the Lord and His goodness.

Genuine, contemplative prayer gives way to our everyday cares and offers to our Lord a simple, yet profound song of gratitude that reminds us of the vastness of His Glory compared to our petty needs and desires.  It is a reminder of our time in worship which is primarily devoted to adoration and thanksgiving rather than offering our gifts and our voices in song and prayer in hopes of getting something in return.  And I think even the most faithful among us would be honestly surprised at what the Lord will choose to do when He finds among us grateful hearts solely devoted to the Lord and not to our lists of things and stuff.

Let us remember our beloved and our neighbors in our prayers always; but I think we might find, as so many have found, that if we can learn to devote ourselves in our prayer time to worship and adoration, we might actually find our personal “list” growing shorter.

Blessings,
Michael

No comments: