Thursday, August 09, 2012

Worship: a reflection of all that is within us

Hebrews 12:14-17, 25-29
John 4:7-15, 19-24


My wife and I were talking shortly after morning worship, and the topic of response to having received the Bread of the Eucharist came up.  As a child I was always taught that the proper - and only - response to having received Bread was "amen".  Then, of course, when the Cup was offered to the congregation after Vatican II, the same response was taught.  I had mentioned to my wife that one particular boy always says, "thank you" whenever he is offered the Bread; but there are only two adults who respond with "amen". 

Of course there is more to the Eucharist and worship than mere words spoken by the pastor or the congregation but having been raised in the Roman Catholic tradition, I have often wondered what truly constitutes "worship" for Protestants.  I often endured well-intentioned jokes about the "up and down" of the Catholic Mass of standing, kneeling, and sitting, responsorial readings, and scripted responses as part of the liturgy.  For me, of course, it was perfectly normal and, yes, "proper" because it is what I was raised in. 

So recalling my first experience at a Baptist church with a friend, I was completely out of my element because the best I can remember, all that was required of me was to sit quietly and listen.  I was not asked to "do" anything except to come "get saved".  Very strange experience.  And now sometimes I wonder if as a pastor I am not leading these same, "sit quietly and listen" services in which I once felt so out of place and virtually useless since my presence nor my participation seemed to make much of a difference one way or the other.

The textbook definition of "worship" is "reverent love and devotion accorded a deity, an idol, or a sacred object", "the ceremonies, prayers, or other religious forms by which this love is expressed, and "ardent devotion and adoration" ("thefreedictionary.com/worship").

Ah.  Now we get to the heart of worship: "expression".  How we worship is an expression of ... what?  Adoration?   Reverence?  Love?  Devotion?  Respect?  And is our expression a "correct" or even an adequate one?  Can any expression, for that matter, be "wrong" if it is a genuine expression of what is in the soul and on the heart?

We live in an age of "spiritualism" and what one writer called "religi-tainment" that has nothing to do with "discipleship", the many self-proclaimed Christians who have distanced themselves from the fellowship - and discipline - and yes, the hypocrisy of the Church, and they have left for any number of stated reasons (most of them "your" fault or "mine"), but most of the excuses I have heard simply boil down to "it isn't necessary.  I don't need the Church to be saved."  And this, I think, is in part the biggest failure of the Reformation; its central question focusing purely on "what must I do to be saved".  Never - EVER - asking, "what can I do for you, Lord".  Offering "thanks" only when everything is going "my" way - but - always asking "why me" when it is not.

To those nay-sayers who insist religion and its corresponding worship are nothing more than a man-made system by which to control the masses with threats of eternal hellfire, we can only fall back on St. James' definition of "pure religion": "Pure and undefiled religion before God the Father is this: to visit orphans and widows in their trouble, and to keep oneself unspotted from the world" (James 1:27).  So how must we "worship in Spirit and in Truth" in a manner not only pleasing to our Holy Father but which justifies and expresses the ongoing relationship that must surely define life in the Church with its requisite "fellowship" and "discipline" while distancing ourselves from the "hypocrisy"?  What is the "acceptable worship" the writer of Hebrews insists is necessary?

It is the dominant question on my mind each week as I look at the previous week's bulletin and plan the next week.  My greatest fear is that which may have already come to fruition: we are in a rut by doing the same things over and over again essentially for the same people week after week.  It is my great fear in offering Holy Communion every week; that once we begin doing something on such a regular basis that it becomes only "something we do" and is not necessarily or always a true expression of what is within us.  When we "receive" Communion, we should be making a statement of unity not only with our Lord but with His Church; that is, one another, and there should be an expressive response.  And when we "drop" a check in the offering plate, we are doing what is expected of us.  Even worse, the ushers have to "come and get it".  Is this "worshipful"?

I think if we were to truly study the history of worship, we would find regional and cultural reflections that are only universal in that what seems to work for "that" church may be worth trying at "this" church.  And I think if we were to critically assess our own worship today - that is, evaluate each element of each segment - we would likely find not "expressions" but mere "habits"; things we do only because it's what we've always done and have been somewhat programmed to do - that sure and certain sign of a church not in mission but in decline.

In the Marine Corps there is what is called an "initial strength inventory", a physical fitness test to determine whether a recruit is physically up to recruit training.  If this inventory is failed, the recruit is sent to a physical conditioning platoon where he or she stays until they can pass the test.  Once they pass the test, they are then recycled to a regular training platoon where the real work of becoming a "warrior" begins.  It is time for the Church - and perhaps particularly Asbury - to undergo an initial strength inventory of its own.  Rather than the many "kinda-sorta try and ultimately fail" programs that don't really get any traction because no one really is prepared or willing to invest in it, we must first determine exactly where we are.  Maybe then we can discover who we truly are and Who - or what - is really most important to us.

We can read all the reports and polls and assessments we want, but the strength or weakness of any congregation will be determined not by how well we please ourselves but how earnestly and honestly we please our Lord.  What do we do well?  What do we do only because we think we're supposed to?  What do we do only because we think we owe it to "Joe Blow" or "Nancy Pants"?  And how much of it do we do not for the Church or for one another - but - truly, earnestly, and honestly do for the Lord?

I believe the Lord is waiting, and I believe with every fiber of my being that Asbury is sitting on the edge of a great blessing.  The only remaining question is: do we want that blessing badly enough to actively reach for it?  Time will tell, "for indeed our God is a consuming fire".  So we must ask: will our Lord burn the place down once and for all ... or will our Lord fire us up for His Holy Name once and for all time?

No comments: